Today, July 15, 2023, is the first anniversary of the publication by Koehler Books of my book HEARTSPOKEN: How to Write Notes that Connect, Comfort, Encourage, and Inspire. I couldn’t possibly have known on that exciting day that I would be launching a #HeartspokenMovement and getting my message into the hands of hundreds of readers who report that the book has given them inspiration and confidence to make the heartspoken note their very own superpower. Here’s the short video I made on Launch Day, and my gratitude since then has only grown for those who have shared their note-writing success and challenges and helped me spread the word about the book.
My message on Book Launch Day 2022
What has surprised you most about your book experience?
I knew there were many timid note writers who were looking for inspiration and confidence to write notes with impact, but the enthusiasm and appreciation of so many readers have touched me deeply.
“I pick it up for inspiration almost every day.”
“It is such a great blessing for so many people.”
” It makes such a great gift.”
“It’s one of the most valuable books I’ll ever own.”
“I will refer to it over and over for years to come.”
Another group that has surprised me by latching onto its message with such great enthusiasm is sales professionals. I was invited to be a guest on the Selling from the Heart Podcast, and its hosts Larry Levine and Darrell Amy were so excited about the message. It was Larry who suggested I call this a #HeartspokenMovement, and Darrell dubbed me its “global expert.” Gotta love these guys!
Soon after that interview, Larry and Darrell invited me to join their “Insider’s Group” for a conversation about it and then they invited me to be the keynote speaker for a Selling from the Heart live event they held in Raleigh, North Carolina this year. The theme for the conference was the importance of building authentic connections, and the attendees recognized the potential for heartspoken notes being a crucial tool for doing that.
Soon after the book came out, I was invited to speak to several area realtor groups who also appreciated the value of using heartspoken notes to build relationships with their clients and prospects.
As Dr. Brené Brown said in her first wildly popular TED Talk, “We are hard-wired for connection,” so the reminder of this highly effective connection tool and how to use it seems to resonate even more than I expected.
- Nonfiction Authors Association Book Award: Gold Winner 2023
- Firebird Book Award Winner in the “Gift Book” category
- Titan Literary Award’s Gold Award
- Outstanding Creator Awards- first or second place in several
What’s next for the #HeartspokenMovement?
To further celebrate and promote the #HeartspokenMovement, I’ve launched an eBook series called Heartspoken’s Little Guides. The first guide in the series is “How to Write a Heartspoken Sympathy Note.” In 25 short pages, it takes a deep dive to expand on what’s already in my book. Besides inspiration and encouragement, it includes a template, a printable checklist, quotations, a printable sympathy card insert, and LOTS of sample sympathy notes from my archives for different situations. CLICK HERE for details.
How YOU can join the #HeartspokenMovement (and help me too!)
- Reader reviews are the lifeblood of any author. If you read and liked my book, please leave a review on Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes & Noble, etc. You can leave a review even if you didn’t purchase the book from them.
- Make up your mind to nourish your own personal and professional relationships with heartspoken notes.
- Make it convenient for yourself by having your stationery and writing accessories together and easy to use.
- Suggest to your book club that HEARTSPOKEN: How to Write Notes that Connect, Comfort, Encourage, and Inspire would be a great choice for discussion. I’d love to join you in person or by Zoom to field any questions and support your club. I’m working on a booklet especially for book clubs that contains synopsis, discussion questions, and more.
- Ask you local library to carry my book. It’s available wholesale in hardbound and paperback from their standard book source IngramSpark.
- Remember the book makes a great gift for recent graduates and newlyweds, especially when it’s paired with some stationery or a nice pen.
- If you’re involved in a corporation or other organization, make sure my book is in its leadership library and in the hands of your top sales or community development staff. There’s a whole chapter called “Take It To The Office” and a special section for nonprofits.
- If you have a favorite stationery or writing accessories store, suggest to them that my book would pair beautifully in a display with their products and encourage purchases.
- If you have a podcast whose audience would be interested in the power of connection through heartspoken notes and letters, I’d love to join you as a guest.
- If you’re a blogger with an appropriate audience, I’d love to provide a guest post and will entertain guest posts on my own blog on related topics.
Further support for your own note-writing life
Buy my book and keep it on your desk.
CLICK HERE for information, excerpts, testimonials,
- From Amazon – convenient and best for ordering Kindle format and be sure to click the FOLLOW button near my author name and photo.
- From my Heartspoken Book Shop – this option supports independent bookstores
- If you live in the northern Shenandoah Valley area, you can find signed copies at Traveler’s Treasurers in Woodstock, The Buttercup in New Market and The Winchester Book Gallery in Winchester.
Join our Facebook Group: The Art of the Heartspoken Note
This is a free, private group. Use the link below to request to join and we’ll welcome you into a lively group of note writers. You’ll find posts about etiquette and wording, stamps, calligraphy, artwork, papermaking, and much more. We learn from and encourage each other!
Get “Today’s HEARTSPOKEN Note” newsletter
This wil provide further note and letter-writing support. Using the link below, you can peruse the archives of past articles on note and letter writing and can subscribe to be notified by email when there is new content. I try to post weekly.
Note and Letter Writing Articles on my Heartspoken Blog:
The larger themes of my blog are the four essential connections of the Heartspoken Life, but I’ve written many posts here about the powerful connection tool of the heartspoken note. The link below takes you to posts in this category, but while you’re there, I hope you’ll find other posts of interest.
and get access to my book’s resource page:
Follow me elsewhere for additional inspiration and tips:
- I am @HeartspokenLife on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest
- Monthly newsletter on LinkedIn: The Heartspoken Connection: https://www.linkedin.com/in/elizabethcottrell/
- My articles on Medium: https://heartspoken.medium.com
Get continued support for your note and letter writing!
For support, ideas, tips, and tricks for your note and letter writing life, try “Today’s HEARTSPOKEN Note” newsletter on Substack. Sign up below: